Sunday, March 28, 2010

Fiesta Sonsole: March 26, 2010

Crisp
new friends and exquisite
food in an inspired setting


Let me tell you, when I am preparing food for an event, unlike other chefs who talk about tasting everything, I seem to do the opposite. Normally I eat very little and sometimes don't even test what I am serving. I will confess that since my strong cooking skills are not in the dessert area, I did taste it, just to be sure.

Good news...the vegetable paella was good. I didn't tell anyone that I had never made that version before, but how can you go wrong with fresh artichokes, fennel, shitake mushrooms, tomatoes, and homemade veggie stock.

I also broke out a bit and ended up with several guests that had never attended. I was so excited and a bit nervous. The mix of the group was really special.  I really love getting a group of folks together that are strangers, serve them some yummy food and see at the end of the night everyone has met and made new friends.

for starters:
tapas trio that included manchego cheese, marinated olives, and mushrooms and garlic. my friend kate, who did an awesome job helping me, did a great job plating these and they looked fabulous.


next came:
roasted vegetable salad that included red and yellow peppers, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and eggplant. A light dressing of olive oil and vinegar was all it needed.



the main course:
meat/seafood paella or vegetable...some of my guest who requested one version also asked to try the other.


something sweet:
burnt cream--which was more like a custard than a creme brulee.

I try to have time at the end of the evening to mingle with the guests and I know I miss out on the conversations and stories that happen during dinner, but so happy to provide a space for this to happen.

If you are interested in any of the recipes or would like more information about how I can help you create a special evening (birthday, family gathering, anniversary) for you please contact me at 518.956.0534.


1 comment:

Vandita said...

Can't wait to join you one of these Friday nights. Everything looks so yummy! Great idea.