Friday, August 28, 2009

Natasha Came to Town

Although I did cancel my dinner this August, my friend Maggie--aka Natasha the naughty Russian waitress, we did some experimenting. Remember that it has been rescheduled for September 25 @ 6:30

I received a recipe for Gouvarlakia from a friend whose mom was visiting from Greece and I asked if he would share her recipe with me. The recipe below is what I received:

Gouvarlakia is a Greek/ Turkish food ....
Meatball with rice :
Beef ground meat with rice: Make small round meatballs about 3/4 of an inch and boil them with water just covering them. 60% meat-40 % rice, add a little parsley, salt and pepper. ( some people also add a little cumin (that makes it more Constantinople style)
When the meatballs (rice) are ready then take two or three eggs and beet them with 2-4 lemons.( Avgo lemono : egg-lemon sauce) Take a few spoonfuls of water from you meat balls and add to your egglemon sauce so it warms gradually and then start puring the egglemon into the pot with the meatballs.

The result--I will need some tips on the sauce and will be trying this recipe again. We all liked the meatballs, but thought there was a secret that was being kept about the recipe.




1 comment:

McPolack said...

Zis was a fabulous deesh, even if it vas more like zoup.

-Natasha